Wednesday, June 17, 2009

15 Minute Fave - The Skinny BLT

My first foray into this summer's project was a light version of a BLT. I know you are wondering how anything with bacon could be considered light, so I am happy to enlighten you. (Along with my weakness for cheese is a weakness for puns - oh wait! there's another one)


Here's an evil fact: Slice for slice, turkey bacon is not substantially different from regular bacon in terms of calories or fat. I still used turkey bacon for the sandwiches because a) I baked it and that is automatically healthier than frying, and b) it doesn't cook down the way regular bacon does, so you can feel satisfied by eating fewer pieces.


Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Brush each slice of turkey bacon with maple syrup (lightly!) and then sprinkle them with black pepper and cayenne. This really turned up the flavor, but since I was a little overzealous with the cayenne it also turned up the heat. Bake the bacon for about 10 minutes.



This recipe is from Cook Yourself Thin, and they recommend a baguette for the bread. I have recently discovered Ezekiel bread and used that instead because I like the richness and it makes me feel fuller longer. Of course, I added the requisite tomato and lettuce, some low-fat mayo, and a slice of mild cheddar (90 calories and optional for freaks who don't love cheese). Since I am piggy and had three slice of bacon, the total sandwich was 370 calories. I would have been happy with two slices and would have saved 35 calories, but bacon is bacon, people!

All in all, a yummy start to the summer adventure. Next up: Chicken Chile Rellenos.





3 comments:

  1. I can't decide what is a better photo...the sandwich or your legs. Wowza!!

    Definitely going to try baking the turkey bacon. I haven't ever been a really big fan of the whole turkey bacon movement. I'm going to go big or go home, right? But lately "go big" has been causing a problem with my pants, so...baking some fake-out bacon seems appropriate.

    Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy the legs. :) And here's a really stupid confession: I have never ONCE considered baking bacon. I clearly grew up in a fry everything household. See, I'm already gathering new ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ridiculously happy that you guys read my blog. I'm having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete